Wednesday, December 14, 2016

The Nature of the Nativity: Day 4 - Mary

It's nice to see everyone again here on Day 4. So far we've cleared off our table, and we've put out the angels. Today we unwrap Mary and explore what we can learn from her.



Let's grab a Bible again and turn back to Luke's gospel. It's on page 1314 in the Bible I'm using today, though that probably won't help you much. Let's skip over the main part of the nativity story and go toward the end. In Luke 2:17-19 we read these words:

"17 When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, 18 and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. 19 But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart." New International Version
As I read these words, I get this mental picture of Mary sitting back quietly, taking everything in. The shepherds are amazed and overjoyed, which means they are probably being rather loud. Like all mother's she has a slight upturn to the corners of her mouth and she gazes in wonder, and with motherly pride, at all that God has done. The Greek word that we translate "treasure" means to keep closely together. She's a modern day mother saving baby shoes, and clips of hair, and the outfit worn home from the hospital. She's gathering all these memories together and packing them up tightly in her mind so she will not forget them. I know all mothers and fathers can relate to this. There are memories that are permanently burned into our minds that we hope never to forget. I remember when our twins were born and the doctor gave me both of them to carry out to show family and friends. Don't miss that...she gave me BOTH of them. I have never been so terrified of falling. In my mind the hallway was hundreds of feet long, riddled with inoperable doors, and filled with obstacles and puddles of slippery liquids. Somehow I made it to the window to show all the faces that were smushed against the glass. What's hysterical is that I was working for an armored truck company at the time and was regularly throwing 40-50 lb. sacks of coins around one handed. 

"treasured up all these things..."
But this principle is deeper than parental memories.The question that Mary compels me to answer is, do I treasure the things that God is doing in my life? Sure, I could spend some time and come up with a few examples, but do I treasure them? Do I meditate on them? Do I dredge them up from the dark recesses of my memory and spend time thanking God, marveling at how He has blessed me? As a teacher, it's troublesome to me when I ask for examples of what God has done in someone's life, and all I hear are crickets chirping. If there is anything we should be able to answer as a Christian, it should be that. It takes no special seminary classes, no unusual spiritual journey, and no in-depth study of obscure religious tomes. All we have to do is open our eyes...as we follow Him. What's really troublesome is not that Christians aren't perceptive as to what God is doing in their life, it's that they may not have enough to do with God for Him to be doing something in their life. When God is truly working in your life, there is no doubt about it. If you struggle to answer how God is working in your life, you should spend some time examining if your feet are walking His path or your own.

There's one more question that Mary asks of us; are you sharing your treasures? Turn back a few pages to Luke 1:1-4:
"1 Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught." NIV
Most church historians believe that Luke wrote both the Gospel of Luke and the Book of Acts. We see by his introduction to the Gospel of Luke, that Luke was diligent in talking to those who could corroborate the stories he was hearing. He wanted to talk to people who were actually there, who saw with their own eyes, and who heard with their own ears. Looking at verse 3, it could be that Luke began this in-depth study for his own personal interest, that possibly he was the kind that needed hard proof to accompany his faith. (As a side note, if this sounds like you, try reading "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel or any of his sequels. Lee did an extensive amount of study and interviews to validate some of the claims that the Bible makes about Jesus.) To this end, it's reasonable to assume that Mary herself shared her story with Luke.  Who else would have been available that would have known what the angel said to Mary? Who else could have told him that Mary "treasured up all these things"? I don't think that Mary was sitting in that stable cataloguing every detail for future historians, but I do believe that Mary shared her story every chance she got. If you doubt that, look at the song she sang while with her relative Elizabeth in Luke 1:46-55:
"46 And Mary said:
“My soul glorifies the Lord
47     and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48 for he has been mindful
    of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
49     for the Mighty One has done great things for me—
    holy is his name.
50 His mercy extends to those who fear him,
    from generation to generation.
51 He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;
    he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
52 He has brought down rulers from their thrones
    but has lifted up the humble.
53 He has filled the hungry with good things
    but has sent the rich away empty.
54 He has helped his servant Israel,
    remembering to be merciful
55 to Abraham and his descendants forever,
    just as he promised our ancestors.” NIV

It's hard to imagine the young woman who sang this not sharing her story with others if given the chance. What about you? As we take our Mary figurine and place her on our "table", consider your own life. Does your soul glorify the Lord? Does your spirit rejoice in God your Savior? Do you treasure the things that God is doing in your life? When you look in the mental mirror, who do you see? Who do you wish that you would see? It's up to you to change it.

Same time tomorrow?


Day 4 - Mary
*All Scripture taken from the New International Version

No comments:

Post a Comment