Friday, December 23, 2016

The Nature of the Nativity: Day 13 - The Scribes

Well, it's lucky day 13 of our journey through the nativity, and it happens to fall on a Friday! (cue suspenseful music) I'm writing this on Wednesday/Thursday, so it should be safe. Let's jump right in and get back to work on our nativity. Today I want to look at the Scribes. I'm sure some of you are looking at me confused because you don't remember any scribes in the Christmas story. Some of you are having issues with the whiteboard my scribes are using. Just go with it. 





Grab your Bible and let's go take a look again at Matthew 2:3-8:
3 When King Herod heard this he was disturbed, and all Jerusalem with him.4 When he had called together all the people’s chief priests and teachers of the law, he asked them where the Messiah was to be born. 5 “In Bethlehem in Judea,” they replied, “for this is what the prophet has written: 6 “‘But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah;for out of you will come a ruler who will shepherd my people Israel.’”
7 Then Herod called the Magi secretly and found out from them the exact time the star had appeared. 8 He sent them to Bethlehem and said, “Go and search carefully for the child. As soon as you find him, report to me, so that I too may go and worship him.” New International Version
Now I know the word "scribes" is not in there, but it is in other translations. Besides,  "scribe" sounds better than "teachers of the law"; it's also easier for me to type since I only use about five fingers. Now that that's settled, let's investigate the job of a scribe. They:

  • copied religious, legal, and historical texts (One famous scribe was named Xerox)
  • served in the king's court, in the temple, or in the local village.
  • were teacher's of the law. (good thing since that's how "scribe" is translated)

With their knowledge of the scriptures, they secured powerful positions as advisors to the High Priest and king, and they were known as the protectors of Judaism. But even with all that knowledge, they missed the coming Messiah. This brings us to our spiritual truth for today: Knowledge about God doesn't equal salvation.

Being a Christian, a follower of Christ, has often been described as having a personal relationship with Jesus. As a proof to this, I offer up John 14:21,23:
"21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.” NIV
"23 Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them." NIV
Jesus is wrapping up His earthly teachings to His disciples the night before He goes to the cross. Notice Jesus uses the words "whoever" and "anyone". He states simply that being a follower of Christ means loving Him. If we truly love Him, then the Father will love him in return. Jesus says those that are loved by the Father will see Jesus, and He will make His home with them. It doesn't get more personal than that. But notice what else He says, "Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching." Don't read this and think that we have to do something to gain the Lord's approval for salvation. Jesus is simply telling us His love language. We all know that words are cheap; it's easy to say I love you. But when you show it, it leaves no doubt as to where your heart is. When we obey Christ's teachings out of adoration, we proclaim our love for Him through our actions.


I got a little sidetracked; let's get back to our scribes. Look back at Matthew chapter 2; what do the scribes do? They rattle off a Messianic prophecy. I may be reading too much into this because we all know that Bible doesn't include every little detail, but it doesn't say they went and checked their scrolls. It says that Herod asked, and they replied. Seems like they knew the answer without having to think about. Then what else do we read about the scribes? Nothing. If you continue reading in chapter 2, there are no scribes that went along with the Magi. According to Matthew, not one scribe really believed that a king had been born in Bethlehem, because if they had...surely they would have gone. You see, they knew the words of God but not the heart of God. That is the difference from an eternity with God and an eternity separated from Him. Let's stay in Matthew, but turn to 7:21-27 and read what Jesus taught His disciples about entering the kingdom of heaven:
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practiceis like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” NIV
"...only the one who does the will of my Father..."

Jesus tells the disciples, and us, plainly that there will be people that come to the throne of heaven and will think that they are Christians. Look at verse 22; Jesus even says that they will have performed miracles in His name. Now look at verses 24 and 26. Jesus says that entrance in the kingdom of heaven is based on knowing Christ's word's and doing them. Once again don't read this as keeping the commandments to receive salvation. Christ's message of salvation has alway been one of faith and belief in Him. 
Look at John 3:16-18:
"16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son." NIV
Jesus told Nicodemus that salvation is found through belief in Son of God. Jesus shows in John 14 that belief in Him is loving Him. You see, salvation is found in hearing the words of Christ...and then acting on them. First you act by believing He is the only way to heaven, then you act by following His commandments. James, the brother of Jesus, weighs in on this issue in James 2:18-19:
"18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder." NIV
If you read the whole chapter, James is addressing an issue that has cropped up; people say they have faith in Jesus, but they aren't acting like it. His argument that if we really have faith in Jesus, if we really love Him, then our actions reflect that. He jaw droopingly reminds them that the demons KNOW there is only one true God. It even makes them shudder, but they will not inherit the kingdom of heaven.

There are parts of me that feel the need to wrap this up nice and make it a little prettier, a little softer. But then I realize that God doesn't need me to "sell' His ideas or "market" Him to the world. He is God, and if someone is genuinely seeking Him, they will find Him regardless of my poor attempts at writing. Along the same lines, if someone doesn't want to find God, eloquent words on my part won't change anything. God says that His Holy Spirit calls each of us to Him. It's up to us to follow the call.

So let's take our scribes and put them in our nativity. May they remind us that knowledge about God doesn't equal salvation from God. May they call us to examine our hearts and affirm that we really are children of God rather than merely church attenders. May they also remind us to live our faith out, to not let it be lifeless. May our love of Jesus be evident in how we live our lives. See you tomorrow!   

Day 13 - The Scribes

*All scripture taken from the New International Version

No comments:

Post a Comment