Monday, April 18, 2011

"I Do!"

I remember the day I got married. There are probably nicer ways to phrase it, but that seems the most accurate. Once you say the words, "I do", and then sign that paper...you've got it. I'm not saying marriage is a bad thing (I happen to think it's wonderful). I am saying that it is something that is not casual or insignificant. When you get married, you really do get "hitched". You are attached to this person for the rest of your life. Not only that, but there were promises that you agreed to that must be fulfilled.  "I promise to love and cherish you. I promise to support you and care for you no matter what. Even if you get burned to a crisp, lose all of your limbs, and develop chronic intestinal issues I will stay with you." Here's an aside that can be rather dangerous, but will serve the illustration well later. My wife and I have had the conversation that I think every couple has had, "Would you still love me if...?". Now guys get tired of this line of questioning. We probably feel it is a slight against our character or that our promise at the wedding wasn't good enough. The problem is we don't understand what she is really asking. If we had a translator it would sound something like this, "I've met a lot of bad guys. I've met guys that were only interested in my physical attributes. I've dated guys that loved me as long as I pleased them. I've known guys who only cared about what they could get out of a relationship...they used me and then threw me away when they were done. Are you like those guys? Do you really love me?"


Let's continue our study of Exodus 34:6-7,

And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, "The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation."


 Now before any one starts complaining, I realize that the picture doesn't match the verse.The problem is the Hebrew word that God uses is not easily translated. The NIV uses "love" as do most other contemporary translations. The KJV uses "goodness" while the NASB uses "loving-kindness". The full definition alludes to God's faithfulness, so we will be covering two topics with one word. Some of you might not like this, but if we want to understand what God is saying we have to explore some Hebrew.

The Hebrew word is checed. When I pulled out my trusty Strong's Hebrew Dictionary it simply gave me the word "kindness". This bugged me for the better part of the week. Why would scholars be translating this three different ways? God is kind, good, and loving but these words are totally different. Finally my Bible program pointed me to the Vine's Expository Dictionary; now I understood the translation differences. Here's part of that definition of checed.

In general, one may identify three basic meanings of the word, which always interact: "strength," "steadfastness," and "love." Any understanding of the word that fails to suggest all three inevitably loses some of its richness. "Love" by itself easily becomes sentimentalized or universalized apart from the covenant. Yet "strength" or "steadfastness" suggests only the fulfillment of a legal or other obligation.
The word refers primarily to mutual and reciprocal rights and obligations between the parties of a relationship (especially Yahweh and Israel). But checed is not only a matter of obligation; it is also of generosity. It is not only a matter of loyalty, but also of mercy. The weaker party seeks the protection and blessing of the patron and protector, but he may not lay absolute claim to it. The stronger party remains committed to his promise, but retains his freedom, especially with regard to the manner in which he will implement those promises. Checed implies personal involvement and commitment in a relationship beyond the rule of law.
(from Vine's Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words, Copyright © 1985, Thomas Nelson Publishers.)
As I read it, checed is directly related to the covenant God makes with those who follow Him. Every time this is used by God in the Bible, it is always in relationship with His chosen people, the ones He made an agreement with. Here is God making the covenant in Exodus 19:5-6

Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation. These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites.

God is saying, "If you follow me and do what I tell you to, then I will treat you like my most treasured possession." Checed is how God treats his most treasured possession. Let's look at the three words from the definition above. From "love" we see that God wants the best for us. When we truly love someone, we want what is best for them. God is promising to have our best interests at heart. "Steadfast" paints a picture of endurance. Our promises often have an expiration date. God is saying that He will uphold His end of the bargain, period. There is no grounds for divorce once we enter into this covenant with Him. Finally, "strength" shows that not only does God want to love us and wants to remain true to us, nothing can step in the way and prevent Him from keeping His promise. Vine's goes on to say that the word devotion is probably the word the captures the nuance of checed the best. God says he abounds in devotion. His devotion to His people is so vast that it truly cannot be measured, it over flows.

Checed is God's answer to our question. Much like a soon to be bride asks her fiance we ask God the same questions. "I've met a lot of bad gods. I've met gods that were only interested in my physical attributes. I've dated religions that loved me as long as I pleased them. I've known spiritual views that only cared about what they could get out of a relationship...they used me and then threw me away when they were done. Are you like those guys? Do you really love me?"

Here is God's response; here is checed.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. -John 3:16

In the birth of Jesus we see His love for us. He came to us when we couldn't come to Him. In the death of Jesus on the cross we see His steadfastness. He endured death itself for us. In the resurrection of Jesus we see His strength. Like Isaiah says in 25:8-9

He will swallow up death forever.
The Sovereign LORD will wipe away the tears
from all faces;
he will remove the disgrace of his people
from all the earth.
 The LORD has spoken.

 In that day they will say,
"Surely this is our God;
we trusted in him, and he saved us.
This is the LORD, we trusted in him;
let us rejoice and be glad in his salvation."


Salvation. This is what God promises in His covenant with us. If we follow Him he will save us. If we accept the gift from His one and only Son Jesus, we will not perish. So the question is posed to you, "Will you have Jesus, the Son of God to be your Savior? Will you love him, comfort and keep him, and forsaking all other remain true to him as long as you shall live?"



All scripture was taken from the New International Version.

No comments:

Post a Comment